Back to top

The time I almost hit a sheep in the road and lost a contact and spent the night in my car.

Rachel See, MA, MT-BC / Iceland  / The time I almost hit a sheep in the road and lost a contact and spent the night in my car.

The time I almost hit a sheep in the road and lost a contact and spent the night in my car.

I was relaxed and a bit sleepy from the hot springs, but decided it was best to truck through and make as much ground as possible.   It is imperative to fill up with gas at every possible moment, because you never know when you’ll be able to fill up again. I drove for what seemed like hours, the sun started to go down, and still no town.

Because there are no (or they are rare) “true” hotels, many of the guesthouses fill up quickly and require you to check-in by 6.  It was at this point I had to decide whether I wanted to find a place, or just keep going.

I went with the latter.

I drove and drove. And drove.

I stopped for gas and got a red bull, water, and bagels. And then drove some more. Finally, I figured it was best to stop and rest for a bit. Which turned into going for miles to find a suitable place to shimmy into my sleeping bag for a quick nap. After finding a spot, I became a bit giddy – like I was sleeping under the stars as a kid, having a real “adventure”. : ) 

I was also hoping I’d be able to catch the Northern Lights, as I was out of the city and under the sky.  Sadly, it didn’t happen (but I’m not giving up  hope!). 

With my long johns, sweat/insulated pants, wool undershirt, shell jacket, columbia fleece, gloves, and raincoat on, I got into the sleeping bag on the turned down seats of the Subaru.  It was warm. AT FIRST.  The moon was bright. The lighthouse beam woke me occasionally. The thought that  I might get to see the northern lights prevented me from truly going, and willing myself, to sleep.


All-in-all, about two hours of rest, some sleep, and cuddling with my phone and camera to prevent them from freezing.


About 2am, I decided I felt refreshed, but also needed the warmth from the heater, so I was back on the road. I lost a contact during my nap somehow and I realized this fact as soon as I discovered the blurriness of the road was not caused by needing to defrost my windows.


I drove for 30 minutes with my right eye closed, thinking of what I could do.  I tried rubbing it to see if it had just gone up into my eyelid. No luck. With sheep coming on and off the road, no street lights (no street, really), and minimal sleep, I thought I would need to sleep on the side of the road again.  I then remembered I had packed a spare set of contacts (two prescriptions old, but better than nothing), stopped on a gravel road, popped it in, and it was like I was a new person.


Sight regained, I hit Rd. #1 to Hofn (which seemed to never be near and of course, per Icelandic norms, no road signs along the way). I arrived here about 5:30am, twenty minutes ago, as the colors of the sunrise were just peeking over the horizon.  Nothing is open and no one is on the road, so I decided to park in a lot, turn on the dome light, write, and wait for the rest of the world to arise.

OH. And I saw DETTIFOSS yesterday. The waterfall from the opening scene of Prometheus. It’s massive, impressive, awe-inspiring. (I accidentally went to Seddefoss at first, thinking it was Dettifoss, and was a bit disappointed. Thankfully, I noticed the other trail!).

Off to see the HOF(n).[/vc_column_text]

No Comments

Leave a Reply